March 2019 I moved to Scottsdale, Arizona – taking my job as Director of Client Experience at digital marketing agency remotely while my husband begins his doctorate in occupations therapy. Being able to work remotely has been a dream of mine ever since I graduated college – the chance to work from home, have the flexibility to live where we would like and be given the opportunity to travel more. I’m lucky enough to be living that dream right now, thanks to my company (I still pinch myself occasionally to make sure this dream is real)!
Part of the setup we’ve established is that I’ll travel back to the office in Seattle twice a quarter for a week (which shakes out to two months on, one month off). I’ve been back two times now, and I’m starting to lock in what I pack in my suitcase for business travel. I’d thought I would share the list with you, as I had trouble finding a good one that met my needs!
A few things to bear in mind:
- I work in tech – therefore more attire is pretty casual!
- I run/cross-train 5 days (with a total of 6-7 workouts) a week – so packing gym clothes is important.
- I’ll occasionally add to this list as I learn from experience.
- I pack a carry-on suitcase, a backpack, and my purse.
- I use a * for things that I need to repack/refill each month. Other items I leave packed.
- Backpack – Used to carry a laptop to work + lug around the gym clothes
- Laptop and Charger*
- Laptop Adaptors*
- Cell Charger*
- Garmin Charger*
- Quick Airplane First Aid Kit
- Throat Lozenges
- Ginger chews
- Cold Meds
- Hand Sanitizer
- External Battery
- Suitcase – Carry On
- Workout Gear
- Rain Jacket*
- Workout Outfit for Each Workout (don’t forget the correct socks + sports bras + layers in case weather varries)*
- Running Shoes*
- Plastic Grocery Bags (for packing up the sweaty gear at the end of the week if you can’t do laundry)
- Clothes – I swear by Athleta for both business casual and comfortable clothing! These items are a few of my favorites (City Pants, Mercer Tights, SkulpTek Jeans)
- Outfit for Each Day* (I tend to stick to a similar color palette so I can mix and match as I want throughout the week. I usually pack one dress, three pairs of pants, and a top for each day. )
- Sweater in a Neutral Color*
- Packable Jacket* (I found one similar to this that compresses down nicely in my suitcase)
- Shoes* (usually sneakers and flats)
- Swimsuit* (if you have a pool/hot tub)
- Bath Salts/Face Mask*
- Cotton Balls*
- Feminine Products
- Hair Ties/ Bobby Pins
- Toothbrush/ Toothpaste/ Floss
- Face Wash
- Daily Moisturizer
- Hair Brush
- Contact Lenses / Solution / Eye Drops
- Dry shampoo
- Laundry detergent
- Emergenc vitamins
- Witch Hazel Toner
- Workout Gear
- Purse – which I usually stuff into my backpack when I go to board my flight.
- My Usual Purse Items (Wallet, lipstick, etc.)
- Medicine, as applicable
- Office Keys
Am I missing anything? Let me know what goes in your suitcase!
I’m Liz Filion – I believe in chasing life outdoors by land & water. I’m a recent transplant to sunny Arizona all the way from the state of Washington. Wherever life takes me, my heart will always be anchored in the evergreens of the pacific northwest. I'm a runner, standup paddleboarder, and avid believer in seeking out adventure.Learn more