As I mentioned in my first healthy snack post of the year (Cinnamon Apple Chips), I have a few new year resolutions this year that involve being more sustainable and snacking healthier. To get there, I am trying to make more of my own snacks!
As a long distance runner, I am always (hungry) looking for delicious snacks that are protein filled. A friend of mine mentioned making protein balls. The only problem? They typically have nuts and I’m deathly allergic to nuts. So I began my search in how to make these filling treats without nuts.
Here is the modified recipe that I landed on. I am very happy with them *eats another protein ball*.
Nut Free Protein Balls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Freezer time: 20 minutes
Serves: 20 Bite-sized treats
1 Cup of gluten-free rolled oats
1/4 Cup of ground flax meal (I found this in the bulk spices section)
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
1 Cup of Mini Chocolate Chips (or some other type of filler like dried fruit)
3/4 Cup of SunButter
1/4 Cup of honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Using gluten free rolled oats, quickly pulse them in a food processor or blender. This should break the oats down enough so that your treats have a smoother texture. Just make sure you don’t turn the oats into flour!
- Line a baking sheet with a Silicone baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, stir together the oats, flax meal, cinnamon, salt, and chocolate chips (or your choice of filler).
- Stir in the SunButter, honey, and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. If the batter is too dry, add more honey. If the batter is too wet, add more oats or flax meal.
- Once combined, start forming the mixture into 1″ size balls. Place them on the lined pan, make sure they don’t touch.
- Place the baking sheet into the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge (or freezer).
a rough guess, people…
Serving Size: 2 bites
I’m Liz Filion – I believe in chasing life outdoors by land & water. I’m a recent transplant to sunny Arizona all the way from the state of Washington. Wherever life takes me, my heart will always be anchored in the evergreens of the pacific northwest. I'm a runner, standup paddleboarder, and avid believer in seeking out adventure.Learn more